Lukasz Zal is an Oscar nominated cinematographer based out of Poland. He most recently shot Pawel Pawlikowski’s COLD WAR, which won the Best Director Award at Cannes in June 2018.
Previously, he was nominated for an Academy Award in 2015 for Pawlikowski’s IDA and was one of two cinematographers of an Oscar nominated animation LOVING VINCENT (dir. Dorota Kobiela, Hugh Welchman) in 2017. He also received the Golden Frog Award for his cinematography at Cameraimage in addition to his prior win for PAPARAZZI (dir. Piotr Bernas).
Lukasz has also shot DOVLATOV (dir. Aleksiej German Jr.), which premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival this year and THE HERE AFTER (dir. Magnus von Horn), which premiered at Quinzaine des Réalisateurs (Directors’ Fortnight) at Cannes Film Festival in 2015.
Lukasz Zal is a Member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, European Film Academy, and Polish Society of Cinematographers.
He currently lives in Poland with his wife and son.
- 2015 Oscar (Academy Award) nomination in the category: Best Cinematography
- 2015 BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts Award) nomination in the category: Cinematography
- 2014 San Francisco (The San Francisco Film Critics Circle Awards) Award in the category: Cinematography
- 2014 Eagle (Polish Film Award) nomination in the category: Cinematography
- 2014 Eagle (Polish Film Award) nomination in the category: Discovery of the year
- 2014 PSC Award (Society of Cinematographers)
- 2014 European Film Award (formerly Felix) Award in the category: Best Cinematography
- 2014 Bucharest (Medias Central European Film Festival) Award for cinematography for the ‘composition and black-and-white cinematography, which allow for a better understanding of the family tragedy of the young woman and her struggle in a ruthless world’
- 2014 ASC Spotlight Award
- 2013 Warsaw (Jewish Film Festival) Award for Best Cinematography
- 2013 Minsk (Listapad International Film Festival) Award for cinematography
- 2013 Gdynia (Gdynia Film Festival) Award for cinematography
- 2013 Bydgoszcz (Plus Camerimage International Film Festival of the Art of Cinematography) Golden Frog in the Main Competition
- 2018 Manaki Brothers – International Cinematographers’ Film Festival: Bronze Camera
THE HERE AFTER
- 2016 PSC Award (Society of Cinematographers) Nomination
- 2017 IMAGO International Awards for Cinematography, Award: Best Cinematography in Documentary films
- 2016 Cracow Film Festival/ Polish competition: Award for cinematography
LEFT SIDE OF THE FACE
- 2014 Doha (Aljazeera International Documentary Film Festival) Award for cinematography
- 2011 Bydgoszcz (Plus Camerimage International Film Festival of the Art of Cinematography) Golden Frog in the Short Documentary Films Competition